There’s a fabulous post over at the Center for Social Media on when using copyrighted material in video comes under fair use. If the work is ‘transformative’ then there’s a strong case for fair use. Examples include:
- Adding satirical subtitles, fan tributes, parody, critique
- Using copyright material for illustration of example (e.g. stages in a star’s career)
- Accidental capture – e.g. music playing in the background while someone dances (if unstaged)
- Documenting an event or experience, e.g. presence at a concert
- Mashups, remixes or collages that create new meaning from old material
But of course this is all under American law. My question is: how far do these same examples go under UK law? I’d love to know your experiences and interpretations.