If money’s what you’re after, here are some avenues opening up:
The Knight Community Information Challenge is offering $20 million to support US-based initiatives aimed at “using media and technology to better serve local communities with information.” Interestingly the focus seems to be on community organisations rather than media organisations.
Also aimed at community organisations and advocacy groups partnered with academics are grants of $7,500 from The Media Research Hub for: “research that supports public-interest efforts to change the media / telecommunications infrastructure, practices, policies or content.” (via Joho)
Finally, Salon has launched a blogger ‘tipping’ system on Open Salon. The micropayments are handled by Revolution MoneyExchange, and particularly cute is the fact that each Open Salon member who registers for Revolution MoneyExchange is “given a complimentary $10 with which to start rewarding other bloggers” (who in turn can only accept the compensation if they’ve registered for MoneyExchange too)
Related articles by Zemanta
- Open Salon: Blog for Tips
- Open Salon: If You Tippem, Will They Come?
- Like the Blog? Leave a Tip
- Salon launches blogger ‘tipping’ system
- Salon has Micropayment System for Bloggers with Revolution Money
- Salon Wants You to Tip its Bloggers
- Salon Has Figured Out How to Pay Its Bloggers!