Last week Google had pages from the BBC 1st and the Telegraph 2nd – even though the Telegraph is the primary source of all this material.
Today the search results are even worse:
- In first place, we have the BBC, with one page from yesterday and from October 2004 – is this what seachers want?
- Then comes the Guardian, with its MPs’-expenses landing page followed by a story from Saturday. That might be fair enough for 2nd place.
- Then theyworkforyou.com – tangentially interesting I suppose, but the page is dated 2004.
- Then the Daily Record from Saturday. I’ve nothing against Scottish newspapers. But really – ahead of the Telegraph?
- And finally, the Telegraph with one page from Sunday and its MPs’-expenses landing page.
The Telegraph is benefiting from the 3 news stories above the normal results. And Google is probably having trouble identifying the original source because no mainstream news organisations link back to the Telegraph. But for a topical news story, this set of web search results is really bad.