That was the question I posed to the Twittersphere earlier today. And here are the very helpful answers:

paulbradshaw: What would you say to a source who asks to see your copy before it goes online? (Beyond ‘no’) Student question.

about 9 hours ago

charlesarthur: I’d say “trust me.”

about 9 hours ago

NigelBarlow: why do you want to?

about 9 hours ago

smallworldmedia: I’d ask what their specific concerns were and talk them through.

about 9 hours ago

mark_marshall: – I’d have no problem with giving them the finished piece – but no edits, obviously.

about 9 hours ago

ilicco: say yes of course you can see it – what have you got to hide Paul 🙂

about 9 hours ago

brunoboutot: “say to a source”: standard answer (proven to work) : I’ll show you your quotes I use

about 9 hours ago

_SarahMorris_: if they are paying you yes… or giving you something in return for coverage … otherwise there’s no real obligation

mohamed: “sure”…. just don’t mention it’s already gone to print *g* 🙂

about 9 hours ago

KeirSimmons: I’d say sorry we don’t do that – and explain that we have an duty to the audience not to let people vet what we are writing.

about 9 hours ago

BostinBloke: sure have a look

about 9 hours ago

KeirSimmons: Many journalists do agree to it though – sadly.

about 9 hours ago

SamShepherd: ask them what their concern is, see if you can reassure them

about 9 hours ago

thatwoman_soho: If we R doing a Soho Player profile – and you didn’t pay to be on the cover or profile – we are rarely asked & we wld say no.

about 9 hours ago

KickTime: you could avoid inaccuracy in the article if you said yes. Or what–Be still my heart if a reporter got the facts wrong?

about 8 hours ago

davidhiggerson: i’d offer to read it to them but make sure they knew you weren’t seeking copy approval?

about 8 hours ago

nickincumbria: I don’t mind showing people what I’ve written but make clear that final decision is mine. Useful for complex issues.

about 8 hours ago

eblackburne: Generally no – but I will read their quotes back to them. If it’s the only way of getting a very good story I might allow it

about 6 hours ago

2 thoughts on “What would you say to a source who asks to see your copy before it goes online? (Twitter answers)

1. Fiona Cullinan

I’m actually happy to show copy but I don’t because no one can resist tweaking. So I usually say we don’t do that because (a) the subs will be in touch for fact checking, (b) if we started to do that for every bit of copy then it stuffs up the production process, (c) I’m only using the quotes as supplied in the interview so don’t worry.

The other question they then ask is, can you send me a copy of the article. *sigh*

2. Kate

What do people think about emailing someone your transcription of their quotes?

I often get asked this, and can understand why.

And what if the person then wants to amend their quotes?