Well I had to do it at some point, didn’t I? From today I am accepting applications for a new MA in Data Journalism.
The MA, which starts in September and runs alongside the new MA Multiplatform and Mobile Journalism that I posted about previously, addresses many of the changes that the field has undergone in the last few years. In particular I’ll be focusing on:
- Telling data-driven stories across different platforms (not just text or visualisation)
- Automation, augmented journalism and the issues that those raise
- Security and ethics (integrated into media law)
- Investigative techniques such as network analysis, text mining, and advanced techniques for finding human sources (OSINT).
- Partnerships with media organisations in the UK and abroad so students can work on specific challenges facing those organisations, and take up placement opportunities in broadcast, magazine, newspaper and online teams who need people with these skills.
I’ll explain more about the thinking behind those developments in future posts. But for now, I wanted to put the call out: if you’re curious about using data journalism techniques and want to learn more, get in touch.