This* is worrying on so many levels:
- a blogger links to evidence linking a reverend in the Anglican church with holocaust denial and antisemitism
- the reverend complains to Surrey Police, who pass it on to Yorkshire Police, who pay the blogger a visit, during which the blogger agrees to delete one of his blogs.
- in addition, it appears that the police have also spoken to the university which the blogger attends, where the head of ICT “would like to remind me that I should not be using university property in order to associate individuals with terrorists and Holocaust deniers”
- The blogger eventually chooses to speak up when the same reverend threatens another blogger with similar action (despite them being in Australia)
Forget about the specifics. Here are the questions:
- Why are police getting involved in a libel issue ? Update: West Yorks police say it was a claim of “harassment”.
- Why are they ‘paying a visit’?
- Why are they approaching an educational institution to gather information on that person?
- Why does that educational institution then get involved?
Extremely worrying. Watch this one.