Last year I was part of a team — with Yemisi Akinbobola and Ogechi Ekeanyawu — that won a CNN MultiChoice African Journalist of the Year award for an investigation into Nigerian football agents. The project, funded by Journalismfund.eu, and also available in an immersive longform version, combined data journalism and networked production with on-the-ground reporting. Here are some of the lessons we drew from the project… Continue reading
Sid Ryan wanted to see if planning applications near planning committee members were more or less likely to be accepted. In two guest posts on Help Me Investigate he shows how to research people online (in this case the councillors), and how to map planning applications to identify potential relationships.
The posts take in a range of techniques including:
- Scraping using Scraperwiki and the Google Drive spreadsheet function importXML
- Mapping in Google Fusion Tables
- Registers of interests
- Using advanced search techniques
- Using Land Registry enquiries
- Using Companies House and Duedil
- Other ways to find information on individuals, such as Hansard, LinkedIn, 192.com, Lexis Nexis, whois and FriendsReunited
If you find it useful, please let me know – and if you can add anything… please do.